Praying to God is a very private thing I do...I have never been comfortable praying out loud in public.

Sure, in church, when they do group prayers, I go through the motions, but I never feel quite "connected" when praying like that as I do when I pray by myself--silently.

I know what you mean about the best prayer being one on one with the Lord. I tend to have a bit of ADD and get very distracted by the other people at church. Recently though, God impressed upon me how much the time spent in congregational worship is about building each other up. I began to more fully understand that the time there isn't really about me or even my personal fellowship with the Lord, (though I’m certainly to bring the fruit of my personal time with the Lord with me), so, to a point, being aware of everyone else is part of the purpose. Everything I think, pray, say and do in corporate worship should build up my brothers and sisters in the Lord and the same is true for them. Therefore, as they build up others, I get built up. This understanding has made a big difference for me.

"Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church." I Corinthians 14:12

Praying together has power that praying alone doesn’t have. God longs for us to have unity and His presence is strong when we come together in His truth.

“Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name there am I with them.” Matthew 18:19,20

No comments: